MMMMMMMMMMMMM Creamy Lime Slice! Heaven!
Zesty, Creamy, Crumbly…all my favourite things. I’ve never really been into Chocolatey desserts or just desserts in general but I do like to cleanse my palette after dinner with something citrusy. Same with my husband apparently as he’s eaten half of one of these in just the past 3 days ha!
This is when those 20×20 trays come in handy again. I especially like them cooked in these as they can be peeled off once cooked and set. The steaming paper was just a precaution.
The measurements in the recipe work out perfectly for these trays which fit in the base of my 3.2l and my 5.5l but if they don’t fit in yours then any deep dish will work, you will just have to divide the recipe into 2 or 3.
The base and the crumble are made out of the same ingredients which makes it a SUPER easy recipe but also what amazes me is that because the base is compacted and the top is crumbly you wouldn’t even know!
The filling is perfect with Lime but can also be swapped to lemon or any citrus fruit you love. The flicks of the green zest through the creamy filling looks gorgeous when serving which is a plus when serving for guests. *Please note – try to not scrape all of the filling onto the slice base as that takes away all the joys of licking the bowl!!!!
We served this delicious slice on Christmas Day after lunch with vanilla ice-cream. Perfection! Alternatively you can use custard or double cream. It’s quite a rich sauce so its whichever you prefer.
Creamy, Crumbly Lime Slice
- 1 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar (can also use coconut or raw sugar)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp bi-carb
- 170g melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 395g can of condensed milk
- Zest of a full lime and a half
- Juice of 3 limes
- 2 egg yolks
- Step 1 Stir together in a large bowl, oats, flour, salt and bi-carb.
- Step 2 Into that mix in the sugars until well combined.
- Step 3 Add the melted butter and vanilla and with your fingers massage all the ingredients until completely mixed in.
- Step 4 Squash half the crumb mixture into the foil tray or whatever tray you may be using.
- Step 5 Put in the base of the Air Fryer and cook on 170 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes or until evenly browned.
- Step 6 While that is baking beat together the remaining ingredients.
- Step 7 Pour directly onto the crumb base (pictured) and level it with a spoon.
- Step 8 With the remaining crumble sprinkle it evenly over the lime filling and bake on 170 degrees Celsius for 15-20 minutes.
- Step 9 Set aside to cool, when cooled put in the fridge for at least 2 hours. the longer the better as it will firm up.
- Step 10 Enjoy with an ice-cream, custard or cream of your choice!